02 January, 2007

Late afternoon snowmaking at Burke Mountain.
The sun is lovely, but adds no warmth at this time of year. The mountain faces north, so only at the very end of the day does the sun shine here, just before twilight starts to set in. The views are lovely, and late afternoon is bittersweet as the lifts close and another ski day comes to an end.

This was not a ski day for me, but my son is racing for the first time this year and practices almost every day so I am at the mountain. I love to ski, but we have not had much snow. Only a few trails are open so I will wait until later in the season, although I couldn't resist and went once last week. It was a great day. Those snowmaking guns are dong all that they can!

I love the feeling of the end of a good day of skiing: cold cheeks, ski boots thumping on wooden floors and a general feeling of good cheer.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I really like the interesting play of lights and shadows in this photo. Lovely!