06 January, 2007

January 6--Surprise in the wind

So, how do I take a picture of my headache that feels like a band tightening around my forehead? How do I take a picture of the soft, brown scent of wet dirt in January, when the air should have the grey, metallic scent of snow? How do I take a picture of the discouraged lumps of melting snow in the grass? How do I take a picture of the disappointment my daughter feels that she couldn't ski today on her last day home for Christmas vacation?

I didn't. I took a picture of one of my horses, windblown, just up the pasture from a run in the field. She was snorting and happy in the warm breeze, and watching her I forgot my headache.

5 comments:

Kathy in WA said...

Another gorgeous picture! I love it. Such poetry in your writing as well. Kathy

Emily said...

Love the picture of your horse. I have a 20 year old Arabian - he is my BIG baby! :-)

Laura in CT said...

I so know the feeling of not knowing how to capture feelings and scents and all the nonvisual aspects of the day. Your horse reminds me of my Bible reading this morning in Job:

"Do you give the horse his might? Do you clothe his neck with a mane? Do you make him leap like the locust? His majestic snorting is terrifying. He paws in the valley and exults in his strength; he goes out to meet the weapons. He laughs at fear and is not dismayed; he does not turn back from the sword." (Job 39:19-22)

berrypatch said...

Wonderful entry. I love how you described everything & the photo was awesome. ~Lisa

kmjrose said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting! That verse is perfect, Laura. All four of my horses cam up at a run, snorting and windblown that night.