16 January, 2007

January 16--Sunset Below Zero

It is definitely January! When it is this cold and there isn't any wind the stillness is complete. It is very quiet, the only sounds are the snap of trees in the woods and the crunch of the horses walking through the snow. The snow has an icy crust which sounds quite startling when it breaks, particularly after dark when the horses are invisible in the field. I love being outside in this weather. The air is so clear and still that it seems the world is held in a momentary pause, the gap between one breath and the next.


5 comments:

Kathy in WA said...

Where is this photo taken? Is this near your house or were you out and about? It's gorgeous although it does make me shiver! I must admit to being glad the snow has all melted here in WA. Ha!

kmjrose said...

It was taken out of the back sliding door. It was so cold I just poked the camera out!

Kathy in WA said...

Karen!! That is cold! Did I mention it was warm in WA today? Ha! My kids LOVE snow and we've already had more than WA normally sees in two or three years.

Kathy in WA said...

Wow--what a beautiful view! Are you out in the country?

kmjrose said...

Yes, I live in a rural area! I can see a couple of houses on the hills, but mostly just a few lights.
New England is not rural like some other parts of the country, though. Houses tend to be fairly close together, not drive-only distances apart. There is a house not far up the road although we can't see any neighbors from here.