14 March, 2007

The muddy road ahead
Mud season!! The end of my road, before it reaches the black top, gets very rutted and muddy when the snow melts each spring. It is always an adventure driving the car through the mud, swinging from side to side and hoping another car doesn't come along going the other way.
Sometimes the ruts are quite deep, and then it is great to have a high car so the undercarriage doesn't scrape. Sometimes mud season happens all at once, with days of muddy roads and slippery driving. Other times it happens in stages: mud, freeze, mud, freeze. When the mud freezes cars can get trapped if it doesn't thaw during the day and if the mud is deep enough.

4 comments:

Kathy in WA said...

Yuck, Mud! that said, I do have to say I love the pictures people take of the world around them. I think car shots are cool. Driving in the winter is certainly an art.

berrypatch said...

Oh so you have one of those roads too? ;-) I didn't realize one end of our road had gotten so bad until yesterday. I have a truck with 4-wheel drive & I had to stop, back up, put it in 4-wheel drive, & go muddin' to get through. :-) I'll be avoiding that section for a bit. LOL

Debbie said...

We have a 1/2 and 1/2 road also. When it gets really bad we take another side road further down and come at our house from the other direction...the paved side. It can get really bad.

Cynthia said...

It's so funny to see mud season mentioned on so many blogs these days. So, of course, I had to mention it on my blog in the JEEP post today! Hope your road dries out SOON!