06 December, 2008

First Chair Hangs in the Balance

So, about an hour after my son left for the mountain the phone rang. Good. He arrived safely. "Hey, Mom." Something
Lift, mid winter, long after first chair.
sounds not right. Reject that! He called. "I'm at the mountain." Whew. "Ummmm..I'm locked out of the car."
Oh grief. "I don't have another key. Is your stuff in there?"
"I have my skis."
"So your boots are in there."
"Yeah, but Z is lending me some boots. He went home and got them."
Good. His friend is there with him, still in the dark, locked out of the car. I have AAA, he doesn't. I only got AAA for the people who have cars. "Okay, I'll call AAA." I don't want to drive up there. And do what???
Call AAA. They can add him right away. They are calling someone to go and unlock the car. Will he lose his place in line?
"AAA is coming. Keep your phone on so they can call." I'm assuming he'll be in the lodge waiting. What am I thinking???
"Well, how long will it be. Can I take a few runs?"
It is still at least 2 hours until the lift opens. "I guess so, keep the phone on."
I called AAA dispatch back a while later and found out it would be probably within an hour but no less than 30 minutes until lockout rescue arrived. Called my son again to tell him, and suggest he wait with his friend in the lift line and maybe get someone to hold his place if he has to leave to get in the car.
Husband wakes up and calls son to say he'll drive up and wait for the lockout rescue people. "Thanks, Dad, but no. This isn't your problem, I'll take care of it." Yay!
Phone rings. Son on the line. "Hey, mom, they came! It took about 2 seconds and I'm not locked out any more!"
"Great!" It is after 8, lifts open at 9. "Hope you get first chair!"
"Yep. Thanks."
He did get first chair. The lifty saved his place since he'd been there so long. And...while he and his friend were in line or getting ready to ride the lift when the college TV station came along and did a feature on them!
So, once again my son and his friend got first chair. Whew! Hope it's a good ski season. First race Monday.
post signature

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

YEA for getting first chair.. bummer about the added stress of the keys locked in car!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

My goodness what a lot of snow! I was able to "see" some posts in my reader but they aren't showing up here and when i clicked the reader it said your page didn't exist....glitch. BUT those snow photos were awesome as well.

kmjrose said...

Can I fix what you can't see? The snow was last year, not this year yet. We will get there though!